This week's update.....

I say that as though I actually update every single week.  Or, even every single month! :)

Since my Dball only eats very few foods, outside of fruits, breads and desserts; I've found some vegetarian vitamins that got great reviews I've been trying to make him take every day.  He says they're too big to swallow, and they are pretty large, so often I cut them into 4 pieces.  Other days I mix them in his smoothie :).

One day last week I told him "just go ahead and take it, I don't have time to cut it right now, it'll go down fine!".  It didn't.  He choked and gagged, and burped and spit up fluids, and it took a really long time for it to finally go down.  This reaction reminded me of when he was 3-4 years old or so, and I kept getting bacon and other meats "stuck" in my throat.  They wouldn't go down, I couldn't get them back up.  Each episode would last for HOURS.  I would just keep telling myself that as long as I was breathing, I was going to be fine. 

Finally I went to the Dr about it and they ran an upper GI and found I had a Schatzki's Ring.  While I was under anesthesia for something else, they also took care of the ring.  I guess they blew a balloon up in there, now that I read about treatment for it.  It stretched it out, and I've been mostly fine since then.  Mine was caused by GERD/reflux.

So I took Dball to the Dr this week.  D is now 5'2" tall, and weighs 108#  (Kupcake is 35.5" tall, and weighed 32#).  The Dr, D and I discussed his issues, and Dr felt like it was most likely just a texture issue we could do OT for, but signed us up for an upper GI "just to rule out anything anatomical".  He figured since the child is in the 85-90th percentile, he is clearly getting enough nutrition.

Today was Upper GI day.  D is very nervous about anything medical, and today was no different.  He didn't seem surprised though when the radiologist pointed out the Schatzki's ring in his esophagus though.  Now he's nauseous from the barium and nervous about the results and what/when we will have it repaired/removed.  :(

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This is not finished, but I haven't time to finish it just now. I do have more to say. please don't feel obligated to read this.

Has it been 3 years?! 🤔